Root Canal Toxicity

Dorchester Health Centre Dorchester Health Centre   

Root Canal Toxicity

There has been an increase in the debate over whether root canals are a sound treatment option. When you have a root canal the nerve of the tooth is removed by a small access hole on the biting surface of the tooth.  Once the dead tissue is removed a material called gutta percha is placed to fill the canal and seal it from bacteria.
Even with the solutions used to clean and sterilize the tooth sometimes bacteria are able to survive inside the tooth after the root canal is completed.  Surrounding the nerve of the tooth are small honey-comb like canals called dental tubules which are not filled during the root canal treatment, which over time can create a warm dark spot for anaerobic bacteria to grow.

The waste products from these organisms, called endo-toxins, can exude into the area around the tooth and can be carried to other parts of the body.  During this process your immune system is working hard to fight off the bacteria using vital energy, that the body could use in other ways, to counter-act this sub-clinical infection.

Recently however, a test became available that can give a reliable measurement of dental toxins in the mouth. Increasing attention is being paid to the bacterial aspect because it has been noted that bacteria are capable of discharging toxic substances, especially from dead teeth and teeth with filled roots.  It is a simple and relatively cost-efficient test to determine a possible link between "unexplainable" symptoms and teeth that were root-treated and/or had died years ago.

Please call us for further information or to make an appointment to find out if this test would be suitable for you.

 Returning the Elegance of Nature's Design to the Mouth

Contact Us. We encourage you to contact us with any questions or comments you may have. Please call our office or use the quick contact form below.

Courtesy parking is available for longer appointments